Convenience Plus was opened in 2003 by sisters Audrey Maxwell-Hodgdon and Daphne McKeehan. It seemed logical that they joined to open a Convenience Store/ Fueling station, as they grew up in the business owned by their father Alfred (Fred) Jose Andrade, Sr. since 1960. Convenience Plus is a family business employing 14 community members.
The current building was constructed in 1959 by the Hamakua Sugar Company’s Construction Division. Mr. Andrade built the gas station, repair shop and its canopy area and continued its structure to the rear of the gas station utilizing military barrack quasits that he purchased from Camp Tarawa in Waimea. These quasit buildings were in use from 1943-1945 but since World War II had ended, they were sold as surplus to the public. The station’s grand opening event was held on March 5th, 1960, and the business was named Andrade Service Inc. which also incorporated part of his excavation/land clearing business into it. The name Convenience Plus was given to the business when the sisters began running it in 2003.