2024 College Scholarships are Available
Hawaii Community Federal Credit Union is proud to announce the recipients of its annual scholarship program for 2023. Celebrating its 37th year, the program expanded from eight awardees to ten in 2023, each receiving a $3,000 scholarship to attend a two or four-year institution of higher learning. Additionally, HCFCU is pleased to announce that applications for the 2024 scholarship program are now being accecpte through March 4, 2024.
To be eligible for a scholarship, applicants must be graduating senior or post graduate from any Hawaii Island high school and plan to attend a two or four-year college as a full-time student in the next school year.
The ten scholarships are named after distinguished volunteers and managers who have made a signiciant impact on our Credit Union. The 2023 awardees are:
- John Y. Iwane Scholarship: McKenzie Tim Sing, Ke Kula ʻO Nāwahīokalaniʻōpuʻu Iki LPCS, Environmental Studies at Chaminade University of Honolulu
- Peter T. Hirata Scholarship: Sienna Chanhmany, Waiakea High School, Business at the University of San Francisco
- Albert Akana Scholarship: Ciara Blaber, Kealakehe High School, Economics at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Katsumasa Tomita Scholarship: Puʻuwaihaʻa Kalauokaʻaeʻa-Kahele, Hilo High School, Public Health at Lewis & Clark College
- Frank Ishii Scholarship: Sophia Burgess, Konawaena High School, Environmental Studies and Governmental Policy at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Mitsugi Inaba Scholarship: Ava Leilani Shimabuku, Kamehameha Schools Hawaiʻi, Sociology at Grand Canyon University
- Michael Asam Scholarship: Adriana Leitch, Kohala High School, Psychology at the University of Hawaiʻi at Manoa
- Yasunori Deguchi Scholarship: Shyla Williams, University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo, Nursing
- Ichiro Shikada Scholarship: Kristine Domingo-Peregrino, Honokaʻa High School, Dental Hygiene at the University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Edwin Ueda Scholarship: Vaihere Otare, Hawaii Community College, Nursing
Students interested in applying for the 2024 scholarship program are encouraged to visit hicommfcu.com/scholarships for additional information.
Locate a shared branch online or by calling 888-748-3266.